Re: TMPDIR - Do we also need a drive backed TPMDIR ? [and 1 more messages]

]] Vincent Lefevre

> What's the problem if swap is *never* used under normal conditions?
> On current machines, I typically use less than 10% the amount of
> physical RAM.
>
> On an older laptop, I had 4 GB RAM, and under normal conditions,
> I was using only around 1 GB. Swap was used only in two cases:
>
> 1. Because Firefox was taking more than 4 GB after some time, but
> in this case, the system was more or less frozen. So, the only thing
> I could do was to kill Firefox from a terminal, which was taking me
> several minutes... I ended up by using a wrapper script that did:

On a multi-socket system, you might well end up swapping instead of
using all the memory in this particular case, since you get hit by the
default NUMA allocation policy.  (Unless that's changed recently.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen