Re: TMPDIR - Do we also need a drive backed TPMDIR ?

[2016-07-21 21:22] Gabor Gombas <gombasg@digikabel.hu>

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 04:06:26PM +0300, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
>
> > For example, I, as happy owner of 8GB RAM, is perfectly fine with 3GB
> > in /tmp, because I actually use less then 1Gb. On other hand, would I
> > start 50 instances of Firefox, Gimp and other stuff, I would object
> > putting 3GB in my /tmp, since it would make system swap.
>
> I don't quite buy your argument. If you want to write 3GB to disk, then
> you need to write 3GB to disk - it's the same amount of data, whether
> you call it "filesystem" or "swap".

Let me explain. If I know that program need for it's operation
temporary 3GB of data, and I and only I can decide whether it is
apporiate to put it in tmpfs. As such, I find any attempt to guess on
the side of program vanity. Program must do it's job, not try to guess
my wishes.

--
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff