Re: TMPDIR - Do we also need a drive backed TPMDIR ? [and 1 more messages]

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 at 16:24:36 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I don't seem to be using tmpfs for /tmp by default.  My /tmp seems to
> be on /.  I wonder if that's just because I'm not using systemd, or
> whether it's because I did the partitioning by hand.

tl;dr: the Debian default is the same as you have, even under systemd.

Partitioning is only relevant if you allocate a /tmp partition and
configure it in fstab, in which case systemd (and hopefully all other
inits) will respect that.

Debian's systemd defaults to leaving /tmp part of the root filesystem,
but with a one-time migration to tmpfs /tmp if previously configured
by enabling tmp.mount or setting RAMTMP=yes. This is a Debian-specific
change, and could be reverted if there's ever consensus that it should be.

Upstream systemd uses tmpfs /tmp by default. This can be prevented
by masking tmp.mount, or reconfigured by mentioning /tmp (as
tmpfs, a disk partition or even a bind mount) in fstab, as part of the
general rule that /etc takes precedence over /[usr/]lib.