Re: Browserified files and DFSG

On 2016, ജൂലൈ 11 2:46:23 PM IST, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 12:06:57 +0530
>Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a bug with severity serious filed against libjs-handlebars
>> [1] (it is also a bug in ruby-handlebars-assets).
>>
>> The corresponding source code is present in libjs-handlebars (only in
>> experimental right now, but it could be reuploaded to unstable once I
>> have clarity).
>>
>> It needs grunt to be packaged [2] to be able to browserify it in
>> debian.
>
>Not necessarily.
>
>0: minification using grunt produces code which is not simple to patch,
>especially when multiple patches need to be applied to a single file,
>but grunt is a means to an end, not necessarily a requirement itself.
>
>1: The objective of minification can be resolved using minification
>tools other than grunt in many cases - e.g. uglify.

You are talking about a different issue. handlebars.js is not minified. I know about uglify because I use that tool to remove minified js in other packages.

>don't
>> think it is serious enough to be removed from debian or moved to
>> non-free.
>
>It's not just "nice", it is necessary. It's not just "browsetrify",
>it's a step in the build process.

You are mixing up issues here. Minification creates unreadable obfuscated code and I don't have a disagreement there. We are talking about rearranged, still readable and modifiable code here.

lintian will give an error in the first case and not in the second.