Re: How to select an interpretor version?

On Monday, June 27, 2016 05:03:20 PM Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 02:41:04PM +0300, Victor Porton wrote:
> > For example, if I understand correctly /usr/bin/python on some systems may
> > mean Python 2.x and on some systems Python 3.x.
> >
> > Is there any "standard" to avoid such multiple meanings of an executable
> > located in the same path of the filesystem? In Debian, are there always
> > more specific paths like /usr/bin/python2.7 or /usr/bin/python3.1?
>
> /usr/bin/python is right now guaranteed to be the latest Python 2 and
> /usr/bin/python3 is pointing to the latest Python 3. As I understand it,
> there are no plans to repoint /usr/bin/python to Python 3, because that
> would break application's expectations. I am aware that other distributions
> do this, though, so you might need to autodetect what you are dealing with
> in this case (e.g. through `python --version').

Because of insanity in other distros, we now have /usr/bin/python2 which
should be supported almost everywhere and is guaranteed to point to the latest
python2.  In Debian however, you can be assured that as long as I'm one of the
python-defaults maintainers /usr/bin/python will never point to a python3
version.

Scott K