How to select an interpretor version?

I have an interpreter name (say "Python") and an interval of versions (say
"2.5 - 2.6").

Based on this data I need to select the python executable among installed
files, if available.

The rule of the "game" is that I write a data file (preferably in RDF/Turtle
format) which describes all available version of Python (and other
interpreters).

My question is advice how to do it, in a practical way.

For example, if I understand correctly /usr/bin/python on some systems may
mean Python 2.x and on some systems Python 3.x.

Is there any "standard" to avoid such multiple meanings of an executable
located in the same path of the filesystem? In Debian, are there always more
specific paths like /usr/bin/python2.7 or /usr/bin/python3.1?

Also, does it make sense to parse output of `dpkg -p`? or is it better to
write RDF config files manually?

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org