Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On Tuesday 07 June 2016 08:46 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2016, Pirate Praveen wrote:

>>> I think you start by avoiding us having multiple different git-based services.
>>>
>>> I don't care which one (gitolite, gitlab) but DSA would prefer if there were
>>> only one to take care of.
>>>

>> ok. So I start this process by proposing to move to gitlab for
>> git.debian.org (Is there another process I should follow?). If someone
>> proposes an alternative (gitolite or something else), we will compare
>> the proposed options and decide.
> Ok, I should step in here. For some time I am in the process of setting up an
> alioth replacement for git.d.o.

I have started a wiki page to compare gitolite and gitlab
https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/GitNext

Everyone please contribute there.

> I know that the process is far away from the point where it should be know.
> However the plan is still to move to gitolite.
>
> I don't think that gitlab is able to replace git.debian.org in its current
> implementation. Given that gitlab is a monster given its huge number of
> dependencies is another point. I would really prefer to have something more
> simple than gitlab.

Since we already maintain gitlab package in debian (currently in sid,
expecting to be released with stretch), I don't think huge dependency is
a problem, it will just use a bit more disk space. And for managing,
would more volunteers stepping up to maintain it help?

Also what specific features are missing from gitlab? Can you provide a list?

Does gitolite allow merge requests? How easy it is for a new contributor
to use gitolite? I think the merge request workflow is really the key.