Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On 2016, ജൂൺ 11 7:13:41 PM IST, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>I well *know* there are situations where an "Open Source" software is
>accompanied by a differently licenced very similar product ("enterprise
>edition") and where this "Open Source" variant is basically just a
>scam.

If you substitute "Free Software", in place for "Open Source", your description of the situation would still be correct.

>I don't know if this is the case for gitlab (nor nagios) but I know why
>I prefer "Free Software" and why I think Debian should use free
>software
>for it's infrastructure and stay away from stuff which is not free
>software.

Please don't give your own meanings to well established terms.

Gitlab CE is by all definitions Free Software.

You may want to use the term "Open Core" (or Free Core if you wish to use Free instead of Open) for what you are trying to explain.

>"Open source" is just a marketing term. Free software is something to
>build upon. And not everything what is "Open Source" is also free
>software.

For all practical cases all Open Source Software is also Free Software. There is just one license (Reciprocal Public License or RPL) that is approved by Open Source Initiative as Open Source, but not considered Free Software by Free Software Foundation. Wikipedia page for RPL lists just 2 projects.

While understand your preference for using the term Free Software (I prefer it too), pushing a new definition for these terms as you wish does not help your cause.

The difference between the two is in their philosophies - "the why" (or what is more important in such software). Both give the same answer to "the what" or "the how".

For Free Software, its an ethical and social movement, for Open Source, its a great development model.