Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 04:24:49PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Ole, it seems you didn't understand what Alexander ment when he described his
> > reasoning with a single word, "nagios"?
> I'd be interested in that story.

I don't know that much, just that nagios ain't part of Debian anymore,
instead we have it's fork, icinga. And given Alexander's previous comments
in this thread I imagine nagios used to have an "open source"
edition and an enterprise edition and patches were not always excepted
upstream, then broke on upgrades and dealing with such an upstream was no
fun.

*I imagine*.

I well *know* there are situations where an "Open Source" software is
accompanied by a differently licenced very similar product ("enterprise
edition") and where this "Open Source" variant is basically just a scam.
I don't know if this is the case for gitlab (nor nagios) but I know why
I prefer "Free Software" and why I think Debian should use free software
for it's infrastructure and stay away from stuff which is not free
software.

"Open source" is just a marketing term. Free software is something to
build upon. And not everything what is "Open Source" is also free
software.

--
cheers,
	Holger