Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On Tuesday 07 June 2016 11:56 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Pirate Praveen writes ("Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)"):
>> On Tuesday 07 June 2016 11:21 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
>>> Praveen, I think you could call this new thing something like
>>> labs.debian.net. pkgs.debian.net (the fedora git server is called
>>> pkgs.fedoraproject.org), of even dev.debian.net. or anything else,
>>> really, as long as it exists, and is not called "gitlab" (I agree that
>>> not calling a service by the name of the tool that provides it is a good
>>> thing).
>>
>> I like dev.debian.net. I'll proceed with finding a hosting service and
>> sub domain. Lets call this an experiment and decide about official
>> status once we have it running for some time.
>
> Please don't call it "dev.debian.net" (or "pkgs.debian.net").  Those
> are each both a namespace landgrab and far too vague.
>
> What would be wrong with "gitlab.debian.net" ?  (Is gitlab a trademark
> that we should avoid in this context?)

That was my first suggestion, but people wanted to avoid using tool names.

> gitlab.debian.net would have the virtue that everyone would know what
> it was.

I think I'll choose shukra.debian.net [1] like we have alioth and other
servers which does not really tell what that server does.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shukra