Re: Verifying dep-5

* Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org>, 2016-05-28, 10:04:
I was investigating this problem last year and as far as my research went, there is no tracing method in existence which reliably traces system calls in general, file system access or read/write operations while keeping track of the acting pid that is 100% reliable. The methods I found either were not transparent (and would thus break test suites) or suffered from race conditions where it was possible to register an operation but miss the pid the operation was carried out by or dropped operations if they occurred with a too-high frequency...

Have you tried systemtap?

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote PoC that tracks all execs:
http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/structured-buildlogs/logs/hello-2.6-1_amd64.build
http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/git/structured-buildlogs.git/

Having such a reliable tracing method would give us the ability to reliably infer copyright information

As Paul noticed in another mail, system calls tracing won't necessarily help much.
as well as generating structured build logs (knowing for each line in the build log the process (tree) that created it).

Consider the following pipeline:

$ (LC_ALL=C date | tail -c2; echo 6) | shuf | head -n1 | tee log
6

Which process created the log line? The technically correct answer is "tee"; but this answer is completely impractical.

--
Jakub Wilk