Re: Spice/QXL maintainer AWOL, can someone update?

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Jason Briggs wrote:

> Hello, sorry to disturb, a resource said to contact this list: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa

Laurent is definitely not MIA, last mail is yesterday:

> There is a very impeding bug in the kvm spice/qxl package: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=801081
>
> The maintainer replied once and then disappeared. The issue seriously affect using Debian with KVM and it is dragging on for a long time. Ubuntu and fedora have patched. Can someone apply the patches to Debian Sid and Stretch?

Is the patch applied upstream? Usually patches to Debian
testing/unstable go via upstream. If not, please ensure that it is
applied upstream. If it is then Laurent could update to the new
version or someone could propose a backported patch to be applied in
an NMU. You could prepare the NMU and ask for a sponsor since you have
an interest in this bug.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

> I also have a question I repeat here, can the patches can make it into Jessie? The workaround is only partial and there is none for existing live CDs without rebuilding the CD. I deal with it for too long on my own and downstream distros as well.

The patch would need to be backported to the jessie version of
xserver-xorg-video-qxl and then the upload proposed to the release
team for inclusion in the next point release. After the point release,
new live CDs with the fixed version would be built.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable

--
bye,
pabs