Re: Verifying dep-5

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 02:18:51AM +0300, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
> But seems we do not have tools to check it. Probably, we need some way
> to mark licenses of whole binary packages. WDYT?

You're correct that we have no way to document the licenses of binaries.
The Policy is currently only concerned to document licenses at the
source (files) level.

Note that having a human-maintained documentation of the license of each
binary we ship is not enough to properly do the checking you've in mind.
Tracking licensing information across builds is actually an open
research question on which various teams around the world are
working---on various angles: formalizing dependencies across builds,
dynamically tracking builds using syscall tapping, inspecting built
binaries ex post, etc. There are prototypes of all these things around,
but TTBOMK they are all very limited (e.g., restricting to a specific
build system and/or a programming language) and as such by no mean
generic enough to scale to the size and diversity we have in Debian.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .