Re: PIE + bindnow for Stretch?(Re: Time to reevaluate the cost of -fPIC?)

On Tue, 2016-05-17 at 12:08:09 +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> I'm not a fan myself for turning on hardening flags in the compiler itself,
> but if you do that, then dpkg issues like https://bugs.debian.org/823869
> need to be addressed (whether all obscure build systems picking these up, or
> not).

That bug report is not relevant in its current form, as explained
there.

If the default changes in the Debian default compiler, then I'll just
make the +pie option a no-op and change -pie to set -fno-PIE, so that
the options are only added when they are expected.

The difference with that request is that it would currently add
-fno-PIE for most packages that do not change the default flags,
which might break their build-systems.

Thanks,
Guillem