Re: PIE + bindnow for Stretch?(Re: Time to reevaluate the cost of -fPIC?)

Bálint Réczey:
> Hi,
>
> [...]

Hi,

> I think making PIE and bindnow default in dpkg (at least for amd64) would be
> perfect release goals for Stretch.

I support the end goal, but I suspect we should enable PIE by default
via GCC-6's new configure switch[1].  Assuming it does what I hope, then
it will work better than enabling PIE via dpkg-buildflags.

 * The major issue with PIE by default is that it is not compatible
   with -fPIC (and presumably also -static), which causes FTBFS or
   broken ELF binaries.

 * Assuming the GCC option does what I hope, then it would automatically
   disable PIE for irrelevant outputs.

My assumption seems to be aligned with the approach taking by Ubuntu.

> This would make Debian on par with Fedora and Ubuntu in that regard.

FTR, Fedora seems to have some special logic for adding PIE only to
executables.

> We briefly discussed that with Guillem in a related bug report:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=812783#42
>
> I think the next step could be an archive rebuild with the changed defaults
> if we would like to pursue this:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_Can_we_add_support_for_new_default_build_flags_to_dpkg-buildflags.3F
>
> I planned starting a discussion on debian-devel about PIE + bindnow,
> too, after checking
> all the packages which contain statically compiled binaries because
> they may need patching
> to disable PIE flags based on Lunar's post:
> https://people.debian.org/~lunar/blog/posts/aslr_now/
>
> Cheers,
> Balint
>
>>[...]

In summary:

 * I would welcome bindnow by default via dpkg-buildflags.

 * I would also love to have PIE as default for Stretch although I fear
   dpkg-buildflags is the wrong approach for that particular flag.

Thanks,
~Niels

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html

"""The --enable-default-pie configure option enables generation of PIE
by default."""