Re: using whiptail and translated strings from arbitrary scripts

Hallo,
* Daniel Pocock [Tue, Apr 26 2016, 09:32:02PM]:

> It is well documented how developers should create po files for i18n
> support in their debconf configuration questions during package install[1].
>
> What about arbitrary scripts that are run from the command line and
> don't use debconf to store the user responses?  How should they interact
> with whiptail and translated strings?  Is there either a document
> explaining how to do this or any existing script that provides a good
> example, in a way that makes it easy for Debian translators to support
> the package containing the script?

Long time ago, I used bash's builtin mechanism to enable i18n in
pppoeconf, and it worked sufficiently well.

Not sure about good documents. I remember finding a couple of blog
entries documenting the initial process, the rest was usual Makefile
scripting.

Best regards,
Eduard.

--
Die meisten unserer Fehler sind verzeihlicher als die Mittel, die wir
anwenden, um sie zu verbergen.