Re: gitlab package (was Re: Opt out style recommends)

On 2016-04-10 03:55, Pirate Praveen wrote:

>> while i really appreciate all the work you are doing for the gitlab
>> package, i honestly have the feeling that you are trying to make too
>> many decisions on behalf of the system administrator who wants to
>> install gitlab.
>
> I just want the service up and running after you install gitlab. Isn't it how every other service doing it?

yes sure.

but if i install other web-services (e.g. php-horde) they don't bother
me with setting up an enrypted webservice.
the only reasonable package that should suggest ways of encrypting seems
to be the webserver (apache2, nginx,...)

>> i really don't see any compelling reason why a package like gitlab
>> should force me to use any special means to encrypt my connection.
>
> It does not. Even earlier with letsencrypt in depends, it asks in post install if letsencrypt should be used. Now it is in recommends and you can just skip letsencrypt.

cool. thank you.

>> there are a number of reasons to use the Debian gitlab packages over
>> the
>> ones provided by upstream (e.g. omnibus), and one of them is being able
>> to chose the components i would like to have on my system (or not).
>
> It is just the first attempt and making all components optional is in my todo. Patches to speed it up is welcome.
>
> nginx is already made optional in last update. Next is database.

i see.
since you were basically starting from this huge monolithic
installation, it makes sense to first get the package running and then
factor out as much as possible.

> Its already 8.5.8. Three new gems are required for 8.6 and we are already working on it.

fantastic.

famtsd
IOhannes