Re: Opt out style recommends

Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> writes:
> Currently gitlab recommends letsencrypt, it means someone has to opt in for letsencrypt by running something like

Hello!

By default [1], apt will install packages which are Recommended when you
install the first one.

If gitlab Recommends letsencrypt, it will install letsencrypt when the
user installs gitlab.  "Suggests" is the weaker version of what you
describe, where the user is given the name of the package during the
install prompt, but has to manually install it.

[1]: I say default here, but really, systems which turn off installing
things which are Recommended are almost unusuable; I know for a while it
was the policy of #debian to just turn away people who had done that
because the system would be in such a strange state.

Sincerely,

--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg
~hlieberman