Re: Overall bitrot, package reviews and fast(er) unmaintained package removals

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 10:34:24 +1000, Brian May wrote:

> Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> writes:
>>>  - no upload in a long time
>>
>> s/upload/maintainer upload/
>
> In the past I have maintained some important packages by doing regular
> NMUs when the maintainer is not responsive (including emails asking to
> take over the package). So just because the *maintainer* hasn't made an
> upload in a long time doesn't mean that nobody cares about the package.

It means the maintainer doesn't care. The name placed in the Maintainer
and Uploader fields is not meaningless metadata, it is an important part
of the package.

> If there aren't RC bugs to be fixed and the package is up-to-date, an
> unresponsible maintainer still doesn't mean nobody cares about the
> package; however it could mean another maintainer (or team maintained)
> is desirable.

If this process also forces maintainer changes that should have happened
anyway, then even better.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler