Re: debhelper compat 10 ready for testing (debhelper/9.20160403)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:28:18PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 03.04.2016 12:12, Niels Thykier wrote:

> >With the latest debhelper upload today, I believe compat 10 is now ready
> >for widespread testing.

> please could you consider generating new style dbg files (using build-id)
> for every debhelper compat level, if a binary file has a build-id? The
> trigger should be the build-id, not the debhelper compat level.

That's a behavior change for existing packages and may introduce build
failures for packages that assume things about the output of dh_strip.  It's
inconsistent with the design principles of debhelper to change this behavior
retroactively for other compat levels, however valuable that might be.