Re: Mass Bug Filing: Missing Build-Depends: graphviz

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 04:44:07PM +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 05:04:50PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > So the number of affected packages if the default HAVE_DOT is changed
> > to "no" would be quite low.
> >
> > If, instead, doxygen is changed to depend on graphviz, there would be
> > nothing to report at all.
>
> I think that it is reasonable to use HAVE_DOT as the default (and add it to
> Depends in doxygen).  The upside is that generated documentation is better; the
> downside is that builder machines need an extra package installed.  Builders
> shouldn't be so low on resources that that is an issue for them.

I think the issue is not really whether HAVE_DOT=yes is good or not
in general, but whether this is an issue that should be decided on a
per package basis or not.

Packages using doxygen usually have a file in which they put options
like this. From 57 packages I checked, 9 of them deliberately set the
option to yes. The upstream default is no, so this means the other 48
(sort of) deliberately decided not to use dot (by not overriding the
variable from its upstream default).

But we are currently overriding all of them.

Thanks.