dh_gencontrol debug symbol wrapper: no debian/<package>-dbgsym, skipping package <package>

Hi everyone,

I'd like to play around with the (new) auto dbgsym packages, and for starters build Mixxx [1] on launchpad's Xenial environment (featuring debhelper 9.20160115ubuntu2). Instead of an auto dbg package, however, I'm getting
```
dh_gencontrol debug symbol wrapper: no debian/mixxx-dbgsym, skipping package mixxx
```
Is this a server misconfig, or am I actually missing something from the package?

Cheers,
Nico

[1] alioth:/git/pkg-multimedia/mixxx.git