Re: Making Debian ports less burdensome

Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
> > [...] when unstable is out of sync, and should be forbidden for a set
> > of core packages from my point of view.
>
> [...] We could say that fixing RC bugs in
> those packages is a requirement for the port to be releaseable.

This reminds me of:
https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/CrossBuildableBase

To successfully rebootstrap, a set of core packages all must be able to
build, their build-depends must be installable, and (IIRC) sometimes
must have the same binNMU version.

Npt being able to re-bootstrap a port is probably an indication its
toolchain is in bad shape, so this is probably where porters need to be
more active.

I would like to think kfreebsd toolchain has improved a bit since I
started working in that area, and the feedback I get from Helmut when
things break is incredible helpful.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain