Re: Fixing dependency resolution of britney

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 11:55:19PM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Quoting Niels Thykier (2016-02-02 23:27:21)
> > Britney does *not* look at Build-Depends.  Only (Pre-)Depends.

> okay, thanks for clarifying!

> > So, Britney's dependency resolver ("InstallabilityTester") actually supports
> > all of that.  What is lacking is support for passing the information to the
> > resolver.

> > Note though that:
> >  * Multi-arch - there are policy decisions involved.  Examples:
> >    - Q: When is it permitted to depend on packages on foreign
> >      architectures?

> this sounds like before britney can accept any patches above question has to be
> answered and agreed upon by the release team.

> Why would we want to not always permit binary packages to depend on
> packages of foreign architectures if these architectures are also release
> architectures and the binary packages are installable together with
> packages from the native architecture?

Because allowing arbitrary packages to have cross-dependencies has the
potential to negatively impact the installability of packages on a system
that has not been configured for multiarch.  We want to allow
cross-dependencies for certain use cases not well served by the current
infrastructure (e.g., cross-compilers).  We don't want packages to
inadvertently introduce cross-dependencies that break the
same-arch-bootstrappability of the archive, or that cause all our users to
have to download 2x as many Packages files to make full use of their
systems.