Re: [Q] How we set Vcs-* ?

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 07:31:53PM +0900, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> >> What lintian complained earlier was for *http://* for Vcs-Browser field you
> >> just need to replace it with https://
> >
> > Please ignore my suggestion, I just now learnt from Ben's mail that both
> > cgit and git can be used for Vcs-* field :-)
>
> actually, it should be "cgit".
> "git" was originally for git smart transport only, and recently alioth
> team changed to let you see the "cgit" page for better user experience
> [0].

As I tried to discuss in [1] changes in Vcs-* fields do obviously not
reach a sufficient amount of people reliably and we should rather find
means to make sure that at least in the package metadata that are
available on out mirrors the correct Vcs-* fields will be reached.  I
admit I have no idea how to implement this but I would like to trigger
some discussion here whether I'm the only one who thinks that we have
currently several old ways to specify these fields in old packages
hanging around on the Debian mirror and there exist rules to translate
these into secure URIs (=our latest agreement to specify the address).
So why not using such a translation process without a need to change
every single debian/control file.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/msg00740.html