Re: bugs in bootstrap.debian.net (was: Re: The state of cross building)

Hi Johannes, hi Bastien,

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 01:53:34 +0100, Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Bastien ROUCARIES (2016-01-31 00:49:14)
> > Could you document on wiki how can we begin as a package manager. For
> > instance I could not achieve to parse
> > http://bootstrap.debian.net/cross_all/imagemagick.html
>
> I apologize. Since I wrote the software it is hard for me to put myself into
> the shoes of someone who is not familiar with the matter. I would very much
> welcome if any questions about the text or tables or tips of how to improve
> the presentation could be directed to me so that I can fix the website.

I'll give it a shot... (And add this later to the wiki.)

As I understand it, the page lists *dependency* problems which prevent:
* cross-building imagemagick
* using imagemagick's packages as build-dependencies when cross-building

The first table lists all the binary packages which prevent cross-compilation
involving imagemagick. This tells you where you need to look if you want to
fix things so that imagemagick can be cross-built and/or used for
cross-compiling.

The second table lists the same information but in more detail. In each line,
imagemagick's packages' involvement is highlighted in green. To determine
issues preventing imagemagick from being cross-compiled, look for it in the
third column ("packages with (possibly transitive) conflicting
dependencies"); this shows that getting imagemagick to cross-compile involves
fixing perl (and perl-base) so that it works in multi-arch contexts. Anything
else is a situation where one of imagemagick's packages' dependencies
prevents it being used for cross-compiling; fixing this might involve
amending imagemagick's dependencies, or it might involve fixing the
conflicting package. For example, hhvm can't be cross-compiled because it
build-depends, directly and indirectly (via imagemagick), on libfreetype6-dev
(which contains /usr/bin/freetype-config and is therefore not multi-arch
co-installable).

I hope that I got that all right and that it clarifies things a little!

Regards,

Stephen