Re: Are two Vcs-{Git|Svn|...} and Vcs-Browser fields sensible?

Quoting Andreas Tille (2016-01-31 12:53:11)
> over time I have seen several changes in the values we should put in
> to Vcs-* fields.  The latest one is s/http:/https:/.  While using
> config model editor helps a lot to follow those changes we will
> probably see more and more packages inside the archive that never
> changed but start accumulating more and more lintian issues about
> wrong Vcs fields.
>
> I wonder whether we are doing the right thing by specifying full URLs
> in debian/control files.  I know that the assumption that packages are
> maintained on Alioth is not fully true but if it would we could use
>
>    Vcs-Type: {Git|Svn|...}
>    Vcs-Path: <team>/<path_to_pkg_in_team>

Instead of introducing new flags, I suggest to extend existing flags to
support "relative URLs" which are somewhere within Debian.

E.g. the following:

  Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-perl/packages/ciderwebmail
  Vcs-Browser: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-perl/packages/ciderwebmail.git

...could - because it uses Debian infrastructure - be shortened:

  Vcs-Git: pkg-perl/packages/ciderwebmail

 * Vcs-Git without a colon would (currently, may change in future)
   expand to git://anonscm.debian.org/$relative_url

 * When Vcs-Git field exists without colon and Vcs-Browser is
   missing, then it is (currently) added as
   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/%f.git

 - Jonas