Re: default softphone in Debian stretch

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 11:08:35AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 15/01/16 04:00, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> >
> >> default softphone in Debian[1]
> >
> > It should be up to the user what communications tools they want to use
> > and or have installed (if any), that is none of our business, other
> > than perhaps informing them of the security properties of what is
> > available and or providing the default upstream tool choices via
> > metapackages where available.

I strongly disagree.  Users should be able to choose, and we should not force
one option on them.  But users should not be forced to choose.  A major feature
of using a distribution is that you don't need to choose individual programs to
install, but get a well functioning system.

Don't confuse the freedom to choose with the obligation to choose.  Freedom is
good, and so is having good defaults.

> If there are meta-packages (e.g. sip-client, xmpp-client), should any
> softphone be able to assert that it provides sip-client?  Or should
> there be some quality threshold?

I think there should be a threshold.  Failing to meet that should be ground for
an RC bug.  In other words, the package can be in unstable, but not in testing
(or stable).

> For example, WebRTC browsers must officially support G.711 and Opus
> codecs.  Many softphones don't support Opus yet.  Should we say that
> support for Opus is mandatory for any package that provides sip-client
> or xmpp-client and any package that falls short has to remove the
> Provides line from debian/control or be hit with an RC bug?

Yes, that sounds reasonable.  If a package Depends: sip-client, things are
expected to work well.

> Using some threshold for quality and interoperability will help the
> majority of users to choose from the more desirable softphones, but no
> softphone would be excluded from the distribution.

Also, an RC bug is not always a problem.  If a maintainer believes that it is
useful to have a work in progress program in Debian, it can be in unstable,
with an RC bug to prevent it from entering testing.

Thanks,
Bas