Re: metapackages and setting config files in /etc and /home/dir

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> That depends to a large extent on what you want to do with it once
> you've built the package.

I should of mentioned, ultimately it is for a Debian Pure Blend. For
now, I am just hacking things out.

> If you want to upload the package to Debian, then the answer is a clear
> no. Debian Policy forbids touching other packages' files in /etc with
> the strongest wording, as well as doing anything to /home other than
> ensuring it exists. The former is because it would cause confusion who
> is responsible when things go wrong, the latter is because /home is
> meant for local use and we shouldn't touch it as a distribution, period.

I understand the /etc policy and the modular plugins most packages use
for third party configs (like Apache).

On the other hand, I was really hoping for an install that looks like this:

- install xorg, lightdm, window_manager, etc

- populate /etc/skel

- create user and copy /etc/skel to $HOME

but, I guess no such luck!

> It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer
>   -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26

Totally agree :-)

Thanks for the reply and it is helping me to understand Debian policy
a lot more!

Steve