Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

Marvin Renich:
> * Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> [151208 03:17]:
>> [...]
>>
>>   I use "apt-file search" very sporadically. And even when I use it,
>> most of the time, it is to find a package containing a header file,
>> so I do not need its database to be up-to-date. So I update it only
>> when the result from the first run is not good.
>>
>>   Now, each apt{-get} update will update all Contents-Files for
>> *all architectures* and *all suites*. I do not want that. It takes
>> too long for data I do not need. It is especially annoying when I'm
>> traveling, that I've only a limited (speed and/or size) data link
>> and that I must upgrade/install a package.
>
> I agree completely.  I only use apt-file once in a while, and I don't
> mind running a separate command to update to Contents files, and I don't
> think I have ever used apt-file when I was interested in anything other
> than amd64/testing, though I have other archs/suites in my sources.list.
>
> On the other hand, I run apt-get at least once a day.  I do not want to
> have to wait for the Contents files every time I update my Packages
> files.
>
> If this is configurable, that's great, but I think the default (as I
> interpret this thread) is a regression.  The default should be to not
> download Contents, but describe (or point to a description elsewhere) in
> the apt-file man page how to change the configuration so that Contents
> are downloaded automatically on every apt-get update.
>
> ...Marvin

Hi,

In apt-file 3.0~exp4, I have added the necessary bits to enable you to
do this.  I am still not entirely sure I am doing you a favour or
disfavour here by doing this.

As a final warning, if you are doing this because:

 * "PDiffs are slow" / "APT is slow at handling Contents files"
   - Please, retry with apt/1.2~exp with lz4 as compressor.  Using
     lz4 gives nothing short of a factor 6 difference in runtime.

 * "I pay per MB" / "I have a data/bandwidth limit"
   - If you disabled PDiffs, consider re-enabling them.  For about 3MB
     you can get 3 weeks of updates (via PDiffs) per suite per
     architecture (based on sid amd64).
     - NB: Contents-source is vastly more expensive, you may want to
       disable that one (especially if you do not use it).
   - If 1-2MB per week per suite per architecture is more than you are
     willing to spent on Contents files then please see below.

If you are not convinced by the above (which is by all means fair and
your own choice), then you /can/ configure apt-file into doing this.

Please have a look at:

 * man apt-file
 * The example config in /usr/share/doc/apt-file/examples
   - Let me know if they work for you or not.

With that said, I intend to keep the new default config for apt-file/3.
  In particularly, because I do not want to maintain a separate apt
config tree or "undo'ing" APT config that breaks when you don't download
Packages files (e.g. "APT::Default-Release").

I can understand that this change may feel like a regression to you.
However, I hope you find the provided examples as a good starting point
for a local configuration that makes apt-file behave like you want it to.

Thanks,
~Niels