Re: Going ahead with non-free-firmware

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>> So you don't want another component, but something that looks like a
>> component in some places only?  I.e. it behaves like a component in that
>> it gets its own Packages (and Sources?) indices, but it has neither its
>> own area in pool/ nor is it used in packages' Section field.
>
> Right. This would be nice for some other use-cases too, like cut-down
> Packages/Sources files for special-purpose systems.

I'm pretty sure we don't want to do so in the main archive though as we
don't want to ship even more (large) indices.  Special-purpose
applications seem much better served with a solution based on tags in
the Packages index.

Also it would need someone to write code for the general solution first
if one would want to use it instead of using what we already have.

Ansgar