Re: Debian Installer Stretch Alpha 5 release

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 07:41:10AM +0300, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:39:35 +0100
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> > The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the fifth alpha
> > release of the installer for Debian 9 "Stretch".
> >

> > Important change in this release of the installer
> >
> >  * The i386 architecture now requires 686-class processors:
> >    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/09/msg00589.html
> Why not just call it i686 then, in the Arch style?

What exactly? Renaming Debian architectures is not really possible (it's
stored in filenames, previous releases need to be upgradeable, dpkg
needs to know about it). Even if we update single instances like the
path to the manual, that rather increases confusion given the mismatch
with the files and other bits like archive metadata.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern