Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 7:16 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:

> I really don't think that's a good approach, particularly as a default.
> We already have tools to make a minimal bootable environment that can
> mount /usr and do some limited recovery, and the result is called an
> initramfs. If you want a lighter-weight initramfs for environments where
> those generated by initramfs-tools or dracut are overkill, Christian
> Seiler has a nice proof-of-concept elsewhere in the thread, which
> apparently compiles to less than 16K.

The idea was for those who don't want an initramfs or can't use an
initramfs (someone mentioned some Debian platforms can't) but still
want /usr on a separate partition. Essentially it is what the Unix
people should have done back in the day instead of hardcoding the
contents of /bin /sbin /lib.

--
bye,
pabs