Re: MBF Announcement: Transition libpng12 -> libpng16

Hi,

(adding debian-boot@, debian-release@ to Cc)

Tobias Frost <tobi@debian.org> (2016-01-04):
> Dear debian-devel,
>
> we are currently planning to start the transition of libpng.
> The transition bug can be found here:
> https://bugs.debian.org/650601.
>
> Out of the 463 rebuilt packages 117 FTBFS with the new libpng, however
> not every failure can be attributed to the library.
>
> Logs from the rebuild can be found here: http://libpng.sviech.de, as
> well as a scratchpad with a short analysis:
> https://titanpad.com/libpng16-transistion
>
> Out of those results, mass bug filings will be conducted:
> - Packages that fail to build with the new libpng
> - Packages that B-D on ancient libpng3-dev, libpng12-0-dev and (the
> soon-obsolete) libpng12-dev, asking to update their B-Ds to libpng-dev
>
> There are already bugs filed earlier against certain packages:
> https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?tag=libpng15-transition
> &user=libpng%40packages.debian.org
> Those bugs will be updated with the new usertag to avoid filing
> duplicate bugs.
>
> The bugs will be non-RC for the time being, when the transition starts
> the severity will be raised appropriately.
>
> The current plan is drafted as:
>
> 0. Assess situation (rebuild) -- done
> 1. Announce MBF (this mail) and execute it.
> (1a. I'll also try to patches and attach them to the bugs)
> 2. Nobuhiro to upload to libpng1.6 to unstable. (after "GO" from the
> release team)
> 3. Raise severity to RC
> 4. binNMU / NMUing packgages
> 5. fix remaining issues to finish transition
> 6. Remove libpng12 from unstable

Please make sure to coordinate this transition's start with the d-i team
through debian-boot@ since this transition will likely impact d-i's
releasability through libpng's udeb (mostly through libcairo, libfreetype).

Speaking of this particular udeb, I've just spotted libpng16-16-udeb has
a Conflicts against libpng12-0-udeb. I'm not sure why, and the changelog
doesn't seem to explain either. libpng16-16 and libpng12-0 seems to be
co-installable, so I'm not sure why their respective udebs shouldn't be.

Mraw,
KiBi.