Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Jan 01, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:

> > My maintscripts are a total of four commands and they have used for at
> > least 9 months in packages with priority important (nano) and required
> > (debianutils), with no problems reported.
> > If you believe that they are unsuitable then I think that at this point
> > it is on you to explain more clearly why.
> It is not a proof of non existance of black swan. And nine month is
> insuffisant for eprouved by time and you have only a popcon of 3...
These maintscripts are installed on every Debian system, so the popcon
count of usrmerge is not relevant.
It is doubly not relevant because their code is never triggered on
merged /usr systems, since the target files on them would not be
symlinks.

> Ok if a target or src file is a dpkg-divert it means admin has done
> some override.
> You do not know admin whishes so best is to stop in preinst step.
The *bin directories contain files diverted by packages on every system
and this does break the conversion script.
Please show a configuration and explain how it would break the conversion.

> For instance maintscript suggested here [1] is totally buggy:
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=767930
I do not believe that adding this complexity to the maintainer scripts
is justified, i.e. I do not believe that it would solve more problems
than the ones it may create.
The maintainers of these packages are free to implement the creation of
the symlink on unmerged systems however they think is appropriate, but
I am not comfortable in suggesting to use more complex code and it is
not up to you either as a lintian maintainer to impose it.
So, unless there is a consensus on debian-devel@ that there are real
world cases where the simple maintscripts proposed are not appropriate
I have no plans to change them.

--
ciao,
Marco