Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:
> On Dec 31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is not only about lintian it is about the quality of your maintscript.
> My maintscripts are a total of four commands and they have used for at
> least 9 months in packages with priority important (nano) and required
> (debianutils), with no problems reported.
> If you believe that they are unsuitable then I think that at this point
> it is on you to explain more clearly why.

It is not a proof of non existance of black swan. And nine month is
insuffisant for eprouved by time and you have only a popcon of 3...

>> Moreover you do not
>> check the existance of dpkg-divert in
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/md/usrmerge.git/tree/convert-usrmerge
>> This is a RC bug to continue if they are dpkg-divert in place.
> Any bugs that may be in the usrmerge package are not related to merging
> the new lintian checks, but if you could explain in more detail which
> divert-related issues you are thinking are affecting convert-usrmerge
> then I will be happy to address them.

Ok if a target or src file is a dpkg-divert it means admin has done
some override.

You do not know admin whishes so best is to stop in preinst step.

>> Moreover quoting guillem and me about creating symlink for library
>> under /lib if a pakage install both file in /lib /usr/lib
> Now I get this part: I will split the lintian check in two.
>
>> >In addition, from what I've seen from the submitted patches, I'd
>> >probably check for the ownership of the pathname being symlinked to
>> >or removed, and if it is owned by another package bail out. Because
>> >dpkg will not be performing such checks at unpack time.
>> Thus we want to check if the dpkg maint script applied in case of
>> conflicts are good. And it is not a lintian problem.
> This would add a lot of complexity for no obvious benefit: please
> explain more clearly what this would solve.

See with guillem.

And could be possible to get on the wiki page the maintscript snippet
used by maintscript of package with conflict file. Guillem and me will
like to review your work.

Bastien