Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge
>
> Now that we have union mounts in Linux, should we instead do what Ken
> Thompson and Dennis Ritchie should have done; install things in /
> instead of /usr and use union mounts when there is one small disk
> containing some files and a larger disk containing other files?

Moving /bin, /sbin, /lib to /usr has some advantages like being able to
mount /usr read-only while keeping /etc read-write.  Or sharing /usr
between multiple containers and having them only use a different / with
different /etc and /var.

Moving everything from /usr to / doesn't seem to bring any such
advantages?  So I don't see why we would want to do so.

Ansgar