Re: Improving your archive and package system for small package

Quoting Josh Triplett (2015-09-03 22:26:12)
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Seems Osamu Aoki is working on at least part of the puzzle:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/797045
>
> Merging multiple sources *really* shouldn't be necessary.  And the
> metadata for those sources will vary, so that likely won't save that
> much space.
>
> Perhaps we should add a few more things to common-licenses, or figure
> out if our packaging metadata could be further reduced or
> de-duplicated. It should be possible to package a 1kB library without
> several kB of overhead.  But even if we have to pay that overhead, so
> be it; we have tens of thousands of packages already, what's a few
> hundred more tiny JavaScript packages as long as they're actually
> used?

For the record: I totally agree with above.  I have never seen any
measures of actual problems caused by tiny-content packages - and if
that really is a problem then I suspect metapackages and transitional
packages are even bigger problem...

...that said, I responded to someone indicating interest in improving
something in Debian, and I want to support that initiative because even
though this *shouldn't* be necessary, it currently is - because some in
Debian, including ftpmsters, consider it necessary.

 - Jonas