Re: Adding support for LZIP to dpkg, using that instead of xz, archive wide

Svante Signell writes ("Re: Adding support for LZIP to dpkg, using that instead of xz, archive wide"):
> On Thu, 2015-07-30 at 11:47 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > http://www.debian.org/intro/free
> > > "Truly free software is always free. Software that is placed in the public
> > > domain can be snapped up and put into non-free programs. Any improvements
> > > then made are lost to society. To stay free, software must be copyrighted
> > > and licensed."
> >
> > Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  This is not an
> > official position of the Debian project; I've reported this as a
> > bug: http://bugs.debian.org/794116
>
> Incredible, Debian does no longer adopt to the world of free software
> (not opensource) :( I wonder how RMS feels about this?

Note that nowhere do Steve or Neil say that they disagree with the
quote.  The quoted statement is one I might well have posted myself,
on my own website or in my own writing.

But Steve is quite right in everything he says in #794116 and Neil was
quite write to remove it.  I applaud Steve's courteous, practical and
neutral comments in #794116, and Neil's prompt and appropriate
response.

I don't think there is much point having a conversation here on -devel
about the validity of the quote.  And  if you really want it put back,
please take it to -project, at the very least.

Ian.