Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Simon Richter wrote:
> The problem is that the icons are displayed in the search field
> dropdown, which should be fully functional before visiting the first
> site.

I was hoping that it could be semi-functional, with placeholder icons
until the site in question is actually visited. But if the icons are
necessary, then they're necessary.

> I believe that it is acceptable to ship these icons -- while they
> aren't free to modify, there is no real reason why we would need that.

I think upstream is claiming that they're free to modify as far as
copyright is concerned, which is really all I'm personally concerned
about.

All of that said, I don't see a difference between us shipping the icons
and having the package automatically download them without the user
specifically visiting a site. [I'm speaking to the choir when I lament
the fact that so much leakage of information seems to be necessary in
order to use most modern devices... that ship has sailed, and we're just
fighting a rearguard action now.]

There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved
by brute strength and ignorance.
 -- William's Law