Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:56:29PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I was surprised that it would download the icons from the installed
> > search providers. There is no need for it to do that. And that means
> > that the mere presence of an unused but configured search provider,
> > causes every user's iceweasel to notify the search provider whenever
> > the user starts the browser.
>
> Starts the browser for the first time ever.

How easy would it be to modify the code so that it only gets the
favorite icons when the site is actually visited? [Does it already try
to update the icons when it visits one of the configured sites?]

Since I haven't read the code,[1] this might be too much work, but I was
thinking about shipping 1x1.png for those icons, and then having them be
updated if and when a user actually visits those sites.

A Bill of Rights that means what the majority wants it to mean is worthless.
 -- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia