Re: Debian books (Was: Bits from the DPL - July)

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 01:11:08PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 15/07/15 at 19:37 +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > Press and articles
> > ------------------
> > Quite a bit of press and general Debian outreach in the last few weeks:
> > * Debian Jessie book preface [0]
> >
> > [0] http://www.linux-journalist.com/bucher/
>
> Given that there's now a Free (as in Software) Debian book[0], with a
> suitable translation infrastructure, I wonder if we shouldn't refrain
> from advertising or endorsing non-free alternatives, and rather
> encourage contributions to this initiative?

Kind of true.  No special announcent.  I have no problem listing such in
https://www.debian.org/doc/books

But that section can be split in to 2 sentions.  FREE and NON-FREE,
with FREE on the top.

> [0]
> https://debian-handbook.info/
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/debian-handbook

Please note, we promote "The Debian Administrator's Handbook" on
 https://www.debian.org/doc/
 https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#debian-handbook
 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/

I think we are missing Debisn systemd documents soch as slides
such as one by Lucas (FREE):
 https://github.com/lnussbaum/slides-lectures/blob/master/systemd.pdf

If this is packaged as debiasn package, we can put it to our web page.

Also for Desktop, joss's slides are nice (I do not know the license but
should be not so restrictive since it was used at debconf.)
  http://np237.livejournal.com/35182.html
  GNOME for system administrators Jessie edition
  http://malsain.org/static/debian/201504-Lyon/GNOME%20for%20system%20administrators%20-%20jessie%20edition.pdf

If martin f krafft's book is under free licence and packaged, we can
also putb it on our web pagess.  Also let's make announcent :-)

We need these as the part of official documentation.

Osamu