Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 03:51:42AM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 01:06:28AM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > POST https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/downloads?client=Iceweasel&appver=38.1.0&pver=2.2&key=no-google-api-key
> > + a few dozens of GET requests to https://safebrowsing.google.com/
> >
> > So nothing serious here. It's just casually violating your privacy.
>
> I disagree that the safebrowsing part is not serious, especially considering
> that it continues to send a message there on every new page you visit.  Best
> case the only thing that happens is that Google checks that you aren't visiting
> a dangerous site.  But really?  Does anyone believe that Google does not store
> this data to monitor browsing habits?

FUD is easy. How about documenting yourself on how Safe browsing
actually works? Hint: urls are _never_ sent to Google. The worst thing
that Google can know is that the _hash_ of /some/ url you went to, has the
first n bits matching the first n bits of the hash of one (or multiple)
of the known malware of phishing urls. Nothing more.

Mike