Re: The future of MariaDB

Excerpts from David McMackins's message of 2015-02-10 14:35:38 -0800:
> In the course of developing a library which heavily relies on
> libmysqlclient, I've noticed several issues using MariaDB on Debian
> lately. I'm worried about its future.
>
> The latest version of libmariadb in Debian no longer works as a drop-in
> replacement for MySQL. The library's name and include path has changed
> from mysql to mariadb. While I don't have a problem with someone trying
> to use their own name, it means that build scripts relying on
> mysql_config and code looking for mysql/mysql.h will break with the new
> version. Because of this, I'm considering dropping support in my
> software for MariaDB, since they have moved away from their original
> purpose.
>
> Can I depend on the future of MySQL in Debian, or will it be phased out
> in the foreseeable future?

Hi David. First and foremost, as much as the MariaDB team has talked
about remaining a drop-in replacement, both the server and the client
library introduce incompatible features that mean that replacement is a
one-way street. For the server, they have engines and on-disk formats that
differ from MySQL. For their forked libmysqlclient, they add symbols which
don't exist in libmysqlclient, thus a program linked against MariaDB's
libmysqlclient may not function with the original libmysqlclient. For
that reason, we forced it to be renamed to libmariadbclient (upstream
has declined to acknowledge this poisoning of the namespace).

It's best to just treat them as two forks, with forked communities. That
said, there is an umbrella team, pkg-mysql-maint, that works together
to make sure neither one steps on the others' toes. The team also helps
with Percona XtraDB Cluster server which includes Galera support.

As far as their futures in Debian, there is hope for having both. Oracle
has been helpful in assisting Debian and Ubuntu developers in maintaining
MySQL packaging in Debian and Ubuntu. Meanwhile Otto Kekäläinen has
done a fabulous job at maintaining MariaDB. Percona employees have done
their part as well in making sure their tools are included in Debian.

So, my recommendation for your issue is to just build-depend on
libmysqlclient-dev. It's not going anywhere as long as Oracle keeps
showing up to make sure it works. And you'll get binaries that work fine
against mariadb-server or mysql-server or percona-xtradb-cluster-server.