The future of MariaDB

In the course of developing a library which heavily relies on
libmysqlclient, I've noticed several issues using MariaDB on Debian
lately. I'm worried about its future.

The latest version of libmariadb in Debian no longer works as a drop-in
replacement for MySQL. The library's name and include path has changed
from mysql to mariadb. While I don't have a problem with someone trying
to use their own name, it means that build scripts relying on
mysql_config and code looking for mysql/mysql.h will break with the new
version. Because of this, I'm considering dropping support in my
software for MariaDB, since they have moved away from their original
purpose.

Can I depend on the future of MySQL in Debian, or will it be phased out
in the foreseeable future?

Happy Hacking,

David E. McMackins II
Associate, Free Software Foundation (#12889)

www.mcmackins.org www.delwink.com
www.gnu.org www.fsf.org