Re: Jessie will need Linux 3.18!

On 5 February 2015 at 00:03, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 02/04/2015 08:36 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> >  I was facing a Linux BUG that was fixed only in 3.18.
> >
> >  Here it is:
> >
> >  https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/1362755
> >
> >  So, with Linux 3.16, it will not be possible to use Jessie to create a
> > "VLAN tagged Virtual Network" within a KVM hypervisor itself.
> >
> >  It will not route VLAN tagged packets.
> >
> >  I manually backported Linux 3.18 from Ubuntu Vivid, into Trusty:
> >
> >  https://launchpad.net/~martinx/+archive/ubuntu/linux
> >
> >  Then, the problem solved!
> >
> >  I tested the Linux versions from 3.13, to 3.16, all have the same
> > problem... Linux 3.18 is okay.
> >
> >  I must say that I did not tested Jessie this days but, I know that
> > Linux 3.16 doesn't work.
> >
> >  Basically, Jessie can not be used in a production environment on a
> > Corporate Network, for example... All my firewalls, VPN servers, proxies
> > are KVM Virtual Machines. The VLAN tagged packets does not get routed,
> > it started to work only when with Linux 3.18.
> >
> >  Please, pay attention into this problem before Debian Jessie release!
> >
> > Best!
> > Thiago
>
> Hi Thiago,
>
> The best way forward for this kind if issue is to:
> 1/ Open a bug against the Debian linux kernel.
> 2/ Provide a patch to fix the issue, attached to the bug.
>
> Bug keep this in mind when doing so: You need to test under *debian*,
> and not just under Ubuntu. From the launchpad bug you've opened, it's
> looking like you've had the issue in Ubuntu, and there's no way to tell
> what will happen in Debian. Also, you issue seems related to kvm/qemu,
> and not only to the kernel.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Okay Thomas, got it! I'll do the required tests under *debian* and
fill a bug against Debian Linux Kernel.

But, the Kernel code related to this part of it (network and etc), is
very different in Linux 3.18, I'm guessing that it will *easier* to
just provide Jessie with Linux 3.18, instead of a patch, but, I'm
seeing that it might be
too late for that...   :-(

Yes, I tested it with Ubuntu but, I also tested it using Linux from
kernel.org, compiled by myself... Only Linux 3.18 solve that issue.

Cheers!