Re: Jessie will need Linux 3.18!

On 02/04/2015 08:36 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> Guys,
>
>  I was facing a Linux BUG that was fixed only in 3.18.
>
>  Here it is:
>
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/1362755
>
>  So, with Linux 3.16, it will not be possible to use Jessie to create a
> "VLAN tagged Virtual Network" within a KVM hypervisor itself.
>
>  It will not route VLAN tagged packets.
>
>  I manually backported Linux 3.18 from Ubuntu Vivid, into Trusty:
>
>  https://launchpad.net/~martinx/+archive/ubuntu/linux
>
>  Then, the problem solved!
>
>  I tested the Linux versions from 3.13, to 3.16, all have the same
> problem... Linux 3.18 is okay.
>
>  I must say that I did not tested Jessie this days but, I know that
> Linux 3.16 doesn't work.
>
>  Basically, Jessie can not be used in a production environment on a
> Corporate Network, for example... All my firewalls, VPN servers, proxies
> are KVM Virtual Machines. The VLAN tagged packets does not get routed,
> it started to work only when with Linux 3.18.
>
>  Please, pay attention into this problem before Debian Jessie release!
>
> Best!
> Thiago

Hi Thiago,

The best way forward for this kind if issue is to:
1/ Open a bug against the Debian linux kernel.
2/ Provide a patch to fix the issue, attached to the bug.

Bug keep this in mind when doing so: You need to test under *debian*,
and not just under Ubuntu. From the launchpad bug you've opened, it's
looking like you've had the issue in Ubuntu, and there's no way to tell
what will happen in Debian. Also, you issue seems related to kvm/qemu,
and not only to the kernel.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)