Re: Who gets an email when with bugreports [was: Re: Unauthorised activity surrounding tbb package]

On Mon, January 19, 2015 10:14, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
>
>> But isn't subscribing participants "natural"? Posting to a bug report
>> means participation and thus you'd get the follow-ups. Why would you
>> post to a bug report if you aren't interested in what happens with it,
>> how things proceed/evolve?
>
> It is only natural to people who are used to it happening on other bug
> trackers.

The only seems to suggest this is a minority. I would however argue that
the majority of other bug tracking systems do subscribe you to bugs you
interact with.

It makes sense to me that you do not need intimate knowledge of the Debian
BTS to contribute, rather, it should by default behave as people with only
prior experience in other environments would expect it to.

> People often file bugs for issues they discover in software
> they don't use or care about, getting followups to those isn't
> necessary.

While this use case exists, this is again surely a minority and in general
people will file bugs because they ran into them or otherwise have an
interest. The defaults should match this; the power users can always
investigate how to best opt out.

Cheers,
Thijs