Re: length of a package extended description

On 2015-01-13 10:22:47 +0100, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > which doesn't work at all, neither with zsh nor with bash.
>
> It works with mksh, GNU bash, AT&T ksh93, zsh (Debian sid).
> I don’t see why it shouldn’t work on older versions either.

It didn't work on Debian sid.

> > I still want to be able to see the full "Depends:" and so on.
>
> grep-aptavail -XP texlive-latex-extra -dI

Actually *without* -dI. Otherwise the short description is not shown
and the output is quite horrible when there are several matching
packages: one doesn't know what belongs to what. The --ensure-dctrl
option doesn't even have any effect. Bug reported:

The -dI is needed for grep-status, with the drawback that the
short description is no longer shown.

And there's no zsh completion (I use it very much with dpkg).
I've also reported a wishlist bug:

> C’mon. I showed you some tools already. Now look at their
> options (in the grep-dctrl case) and combine them well.

There doesn't seem to be an option to limit the number of lines
of the description that are shown.