Re: length of a package extended description

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> > You can pipe the output to "head" or "tail" to sort of achieve what you
> > want to.
>
> Obviously not. It may be possible with something like sed or perl,
> but this may not be future-proof, and breakage due to changes in

Nonsense, the format is trivial and stable.

A quick one-line-ish fix for this (requires a modern shell) is:

apt-cache show texlive-latex-extra | tr '\n' $'\001' | sed $'s/\001 / /g' | tr $'\001' '\n' | sort | less +-S

109 columns, it just barely fits on my screen, agreed. But workable.
And quick to type out yourself.

And then, there’s this nice, magic tool. For example:

grep-aptavail -P texlive-latex-extra -d -s Package,Version,Description,Maintainer

Only thing it can’t do is to just…

grep-aptavail -P texlive-latex-extra -d

… because that shows o̲n̲l̲y̲ the Description field, and the syntax does
not offer showing *all* fields while shortening the Description field.

Anyway: +1 for keeping these long descriptions. Bad descriptions
(too short extended Description, non-descriptive short description,
and the repetitive issue Adam Majer mentioned) are a much worse
problem, and I wonder often when I see a buildd eMail from a package
where the description is, to add insult to injury, generated. (And
then, often badly wrapped.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of